Spotlight: Dominika Huterova

Alliance Manchester Business School's Dominika Huterova talks to us about her vegetarian/plant based lifestyle, her love for Strala yoga and the Northern Vegan festival.


Have you ever not been vegetarian?

Yes, I became vegetarian about a year ago, and I can feel the difference. A year before I was kind of slowing down on eating meat because I didn't like the taste any more. I was only eating things like fish, chorizo and occasionally chicken, so that was my only meat intake. So gradually I was just slowing down and then I just decided that I didn't want to eat it anymore. I haven’t missed it since, and I feel better. Even if you have a big vegetarian meal, even if you feel full you don’t feel ill, and I cook more and try more new things.

Is there any other reason why you became vegetarian?

It was mainly because I didn't want it anymore, but once I started getting into yoga I started to gain more of an awareness of the environment and animal rights. Now I am being careful what I eat, for example I don’t eat anything that has palm oil in it, so I'm basically more careful what I eat. I would want to eventually get rid of animal product completely from my diet, I only occasionally have milk in coffee but I prefer almond milk, though you can’t get that everywhere. I'm still eating cheese, I do want to eventually stop eating it but I don’t think it’s any use forcing it otherwise you’ll just end up hating the whole vegetarian lifestyle. I'm just slowly trying to find substitutes. I always get the question “where do you get your protein from?” because not many people know of any other sources of protein. (See our earlier post for lots of ideas for healthy vegetarian protein sources!)

So what else do you do to help lead a healthy lifestyle?

I always live by the rule that if you want to look after and help other people, you have to start by looking after and helping yourself. It’s kind of like a self-care, so you are a bit more aware of what you do and what you eat. I do yoga all the time. The yoga I do is called Strala yoga, which is more based on natural movements rather than pushing and stretching. After the class you feel great so you just want to feel like that all the time. I set up the yoga classes to help other people to feel great too.
Don’t get me wrong, I still have lazy days and things like that. One time I was too tired to cook so I got a takeaway, and the day after I felt horrible. All because I listened to the lazy voice in my head and didn't cook a nice meal for myself. If you fill yourself with nice meals you just feel generally better. Every morning I drink hot lemon water, and then I make green smoothies as a kind of snack during the day. My favourite is spinach, pineapple and banana, with almond milk. If I want something extra sweet I put a teaspoon of organic peanut butter. I basically just love experimenting with different foods and things.

Have you ever been to the Northern Vegan Festival?

The vegan festival is amazing, I went to the one in Chorlton and they had so many stalls with food and sustainable clothing. There were so many charities, The Dolphin Project and Sea Shepherd were selling their merchandise. I have a bit of a sweet tooth, and at the Vegan fair there was a company who made vegan sweets and lollipops, and they actually tasted great! There’s lots of things going on there, loads of live music too. 



You can find out more about Dominika's University based yoga classes by following her Facebook page, and check out her profile on Yoga Alliance Professionals.